Praveen Bharadhwaj on Fri, 25 Dec 2020 03:55:35 +0100

Re: PARI-GP, Online WebAssembly version

Thanks, Bill...  I was using a slow connection at the time, so the 12MB of the _javascript_ file (gp-sta.js)  was taking too long to load, and perhaps failing to complete the download.

Now I'm trying on a faster connection so it works fine. And once it is cached properly in the browser, the connection speed is not an issue either.

Thanks again.

Praveen

On Thu, Dec 24, 2020, 4:15 PM Bill Allombert <Bill.Allombert@math.u-bordeaux.fr> wrote:
On Thu, Dec 24, 2020 at 11:06:10AM +0530, Praveen Bharadhwaj wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Based on this discussion
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47879864/how-can-i-check-if-a-browser-supports-webassembly
> ... I have verified that WebAssembly is working on my browser (Firefox
> 84.0.1).
>
> After loading the page https://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/gpwasm.html it
> briefly shows a message like "warm streaming compile failed...".
>
> How can I fix this?

Just wait a bit and click on "Evaluate" again.

This webpage is loading the PARI/GP wasm binary in the background.
If you click on Evaluate before the binary has finised downloading,
it does nothing.
All the versions have this problem.

> Another question: what is the performance gain from using WebAssembly
> versus the normal Stable Version in the browser?

The speed is similar, but wasm has a better memory model, so you do not
need to allocate all the memory you need at startup.

Cheers,
Bill