Bill Allombert on Thu, 24 Dec 2020 11:37:42 +0100

Re: PARI-GP, Online WebAssembly version

On Thu, Dec 24, 2020 at 11:06:10AM +0530, Praveen Bharadhwaj wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Based on this discussion
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47879864/how-can-i-check-if-a-browser-supports-webassembly
> ... I have verified that WebAssembly is working on my browser (Firefox
> 84.0.1).
>
> After loading the page https://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/gpwasm.html it
> briefly shows a message like "warm streaming compile failed...".
>
> How can I fix this?

Just wait a bit and click on "Evaluate" again.

This webpage is loading the PARI/GP wasm binary in the background.
If you click on Evaluate before the binary has finised downloading,
it does nothing.
All the versions have this problem.

> Another question: what is the performance gain from using WebAssembly
> versus the normal Stable Version in the browser?

The speed is similar, but wasm has a better memory model, so you do not
need to allocate all the memory you need at startup.

Cheers,
Bill