Niels Möller on Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:20:09 +0100

Re: gp version 2.0 under emacs

Kevin Buzzard <K.M.Buzzard@dpmms.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> Hiya John. Boy this game is quick.
>
> > I compiled pari2.0 succesfully with linux and it runs fine under
> > emacs.
>
> Grr, I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

I'm not an experienced pari user, but I have a few guesses...

It definitely seems that your prompt uses escape secuences (to print
it in a special color, or something like that). I'd guess this is what
is confusing pari.el.

Have you checked that you don't have anything left of the
configuration of the old pari.el (for instance, setting the
commandline flags passed to gp) someplace in default.el or your
.emacs? Are you sure that you are running the new pari.el, and not the
old one?

I think the new pari.el gives gp the special flag -emacs on gp:s
command line. Perhaps that makes a difference?

For example, on my machine, gp is started with the following command
line (echoed at the top of the *PARI* buffer):

/usr/local/bin/gp -emacs -s 10000000 -b 200000 -p 500000 -emacs

And yes, I do have readline installed.

Good luck,
/Niels Möller