Kevin Buzzard on Fri, 21 Nov 1997 18:36:06 +0100

Re: gp version 2.0 under emacs

Hiya John. Boy this game is quick.

> I compiled pari2.0 succesfully with linux and it runs fine under
> emacs.

Grr, I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

> Suggestion: you must change pari.el if you do not have readline, else
> it gets confused when looking for the prompt (see the comments in
> pari.el).

I do have readline. I was running gp under emacs because that's what I
used to do; because I couldn't get it to work I thought I'd try
running it under readline (I've only just installed Linux and didn't
even know readline existed, let alone that I had it installed, until I
read the gp manual :) ). Actually, readline is very nice indeed and
did me just fine last night. The only time I missed emacs was when I
was looking at a huge output and was wondering whether it was a
polynomial in several variables or whether there were some furtive
denominators (e.g. (...+x^3+x/y+t^4+..)*z^6+..); I could have searched
for a / in emacs. Readline actually makes a huge difference, especially
when e.g. last night I wanted to execute the commands

f=subst(subst(subst(subst(f,x1,0),x2,0),y1,0),y2,0)
g=subst(subst(subst(subst(g,x1,0),x2,0),y1,0),y2,0)
h=subst(subst(subst(subst(h,x1,0),x2,0),y1,0),y2,0)

:)

Kevin