Joseph Ferrara on Tue, 25 Sep 2018 03:31:27 +0200

One more question now that I have built Pari/gp with source code

Hi Bill and Peter,

Thank you for your help! I would have responded earlier but I didn't see your responses until today. I didn't realize that I would have to go to the forum archive page to see them.

With your help, I've managed to fix the issues and I've gotten pari/gp installed and working on my machine. Like I mentioned before, I would like to read the code for the function quadray(D, f). I've been looking at the User's Guide to the PARI library and it is a bit advanced/over my head with the coding and developing instructions. At the moment, I do not want to do any coding. I would just like to understand what exactly the function quadray(D, f) is outputting for imaginary quadratic fields. Is there a way/command that lets me read the code for quadray(D, f)? (I'm more familiar with SAGE than Pari and in SAGE if I put two question marks after a function in a sage terminal the code for the function is printed. Is there something like that for Pari in the gp terminal?)

Some specifics, if it matters, for why I'm looking at quadray(D, f), is that in the User's Guide to Pari_GP for the function quadray(D, f) the guide says that Schertz's method is used (page 198). I'd like to know what exactly is meant by Schertz's method is used. I'm trying to calculate elliptic and Stark units of imaginary quadratic fields for my research and I am familiar with Schertz's paper Construction of Ray class fields by elliptic units. I'm assuming/hoping that the code quadray(D, f) uses the formulas from that paper. If that is the case and I could see it in the code, then I would know exactly which elliptic units are the zeros of the polynomial that quadray(D, f) splits out. If quadray(D, f) is computing the elliptic units I need, then that would be great for me!

Best,
Joe