Bill Allombert on Sat, 22 Sep 2018 23:17:49 +0200

Re: having issues installing with source code and need help

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 10:52:19PM -0700, Joseph Ferrara wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am not sure if this is the right place to send a message like this. I got
> here from looking at the website for pari. I've been searching on the
> internet for a while trying to fix my issue, but have not been able to.
>
> I would like to read the code for the function in pari/gp called quadray(D,
> f) to see how it works. For this reason and in case I would like to read
> the code for something else in the future I am trying to install pari/gp on
> my computer with the source code. I am using ubuntu and following the
> instructions in appendix A in the back on the user's manual on how to
> install pari/gp with the source code for unix. I've tried to follow all the
> steps correctly, but I am getting the following error messages when I run
> sudo make bench and sudo make install after running ./Configure. When I run
> ./Configure I do not get any problems, and when I run sudo make all there
> do not appear to me to be any problems. This is what happens when I run
> sudo make bench and sudo make install:
>
> ./gp-sta: symbol lookup error: /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so.7: undefined
> symbol: UP

Hello Joseph,

You seems to have a a broken installation of readline in /usr/local/

Try
./Configure --without-readline

or
./Configure --with-readline=/usr/lib

But anyway, I discourage users to install things directly to /usr/local unless
they are experienced enough to deal with the side effect. It is safer to
use different directories for different projects.

The latest version of the PARI/GP installation guide is at
https://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/Events/ZETAS2018/talks/sources.pdf