Gerhard Niklasch on Sun, 17 Jan 1999 23:11:37 +0100 (MET)

pari.home.ml.org is no more

> Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 02:01:52 -0500
> From: Ilya Zakharevich <ilya@math.ohio-state.edu>
> Subject: Re: bug in nfsubfields()
>
> On Thu, Jan 07, 1999 at 05:40:31PM +0100, Karim BELABAS wrote:
> > --
> > PARI/GP Home Page: http://pari.home.ml.org
>
> It is no more.  Any news about this?

*.home.ml.org is no more (for most former users of the free ATHOME
project of what used to be Monolith Inc.).

At present, the PARI/GP home page can be reached only through the
long-winded form
	http://hasse.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/ntsw/pari/
(and I still haven't found the time to bring the release/version
pages in sync with reality, what with 60hr working weeks at a
desk elsewhere).

Moreover, it is not clear how much longer I will be able to run
the site at all - if the aging hardware doesn't give trouble, things
should be ok until end of March, maybe for a few months more.  But
I will not have access to my former office as a guest researcher
indefinitely.

So let me take this opportunity to solicit volunteer offers of
help with the following items:

(1) Anybody willing and equipped to take over hosting the PARI
website?  Help in transferring what is there will be provided.

(2) Anybody around here have good relations to a networking guru
and a friendly department who could obtain, and pay for, a `real'
second level domain pari.org, and set up and maintain name service
for it?  (The actual machines could sit e.g. in a normal university
environment, and be known already by other names.)

(2') Or does somebody know of another service like Monolith used
to offer  (accepting WWW requests for one URL, pari.home.ml.org
as it was, and returning redirections to another, which a browser
would silently follow)?

Gerhard