Bill Allombert on Sun, 12 Apr 2020 11:44:20 +0200

Re: Issue installing gp2c

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 11:30:18AM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 07:12:41PM +0000, James Rickards wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I am attempting to install gp2c, but running into an issue. After issuing the "make" command, the folder "src" seems to go through, but then in the "desc" folder I see the line
> > "*** No rule to make the target `missing', needed by `func.dsc'. Stop."
> > shortly followed by
> > "make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1"
> > When I call make check, instead of a bunch of "OK"'s, I get the same message.
>
> I found what is probably the issue here.
> In fact "missing" denotes the file pari.desc.
> What probably happened is that you did not install pari with 'make install'
> so the file "pari.desc" listed in pari.cfg is not available.

My guess is that you tried to use the pari.cfg file shipped with the
PARI.exe installer.

Unfortunately this cannot work, because this file refers to the
environment and the compiler I used to compile PARI.exe.
Since I do it on Linux using a cross-compiler, this unlikely to be
helpful on Windows.

Maybe I should remove pari.cfg from PARI.exe to avoid this confusion.
Sorry about that.

I suggest you use recompile PARI to get a valid pari.cfg file for
your setup, or use the Windows subsystem for Linux which include
pari and gp2c as Ubuntu/Debian packages already.

Cheers,
Bill