Bill Allombert on Mon, 26 Nov 2018 21:24:43 +0100

Re: readline history doesn't work on FreeBSD

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 11:43:55AM -0800, Yuri wrote:
> On 11/26/18 10:43 AM, Karim Belabas wrote:
> > The problem is we need to have a filename and a place on the filesystem
> > where it can be written ("~/.gp_history" is arbitrary).
> >
> > We have no good universal choice here [e.g. "~" doesn't exist on Windows]
> > and I personally hate it when programs start to write files all over my
> > directories without telling me or (worse) without providing overrides.
> >
> > Also this file can become quite big over time, depending on the value of
> > history-size (which may be set in readline's initialization file).
> >
> > So we let the user opt in for the feature and provide explicit
> > instructions ...
>

> An alternative solution is to make readline history work by default on
> systems where locations are unambiguous.

"histfile" is not the only default to set in gprc.
The documentation provide an example gprc (misc/gprc.dft)
that you should install.

There are various setting we cannot guess, like whether your prefer
to work with black-on-white or white-on-black (colors), how much memory you
are ready to use with GP (parisizemax, threadsizemax).

We provide an installation manual that emphasize that.
<https://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/Events/PARI2019/talks/sources.pdf>
(just substitute version 2.12.0.A2019 by 2.11.0)

Cheers,
Bill