John Cremona on Fri, 26 Jan 2018 14:00:15 +0100

Re: Parser use and abuse

On 26 January 2018 at 10:02, Bill Allombert <Bill.Allombert@math.u-bordeaux.fr> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 10:59:32PM +0000, Jacques Gélinas wrote:
> After years of receiving warnings from the Pari/GP parser because of a typo,
> I finally got a pleasant surprise after typing a single dot on an input line:
> the parser returned the working precision (:-) !
>
> # .
> %1 = 0.E-19

This is not the working precision, '.' is a short-hand for '0.'.
The only reason this is supported is that this was supported
by PARI 1.39.15.

To extend this "feature": since when displaying integers one always deletes *all* leading zeros (right?!) I would expect that typing nothing at all (except Return) would be interpreted as 0 (the integer), but it isn't!  Feature request! (not serious)

John