Oliver Bandel on Tue, 05 Feb 2019 14:40:44 +0100

Re: texi_sign()

Hello Bill,

Quoting  Bill Allombert <Bill.Allombert@math.u-bordeaux.fr> (snt: 2019-02-05 12:14 +0100 CET) (rcv: 2019-02-05 12:15 +0100 CET):
> On Mon, Feb 04, 2019 at 09:37:50PM +0100, Oliver Bandel wrote:
> > In
> >   src/language/es.c
> > there is the function texi_sign(), which creates
> > TeX-output.
> >
> > I used gp for some calculations and writetex()
> > for putting the results into a *.tex file.
> >
> > The output is ok for plain-TeX, but for LaTeX
> > it should look different.
> >
> > There is \pmatrix{} for TeX, but in LaTeX it would be
> > \begin{array} and \end{array},
> > or with amsmath-package it would be
> > \begin{pmatrix} and \end{pmatrix}.
>
> Hello Oliver,
>
> LaTeX handles \pmatrix just fine.

Well, the general advice from LaTeX-experts/-developers is: don't mix plain TeX and LaTeX.

The problem I had, was, that I could not use \arraystretch to stretch the \pmatrix{}-stuff.
When typesetting fractions with \pmatrix, the rows are not enough seperated.
So using \arraystretch would help here.
But it does not help with \pmatrix{}, because the plain-TeX \pmatrix{} is ignorant about
LaTeX's \arraystretch.

That's the reason why I looked at the source code and changed it to fixed the problem.

[...]
> Maybe we could add another bit in default(TeXstyle) to cover this.
[...]

Yes, that would be great.
How is the TeXstyle-value expored by texi_sign()?
Did not looked for it, but also it did not pop up in my attention by accident.

Adding another parameter to texi_sign() would also be possible,
even though I think changing the API is not a good idea.

What's the way to suggest code-changes in general here?
Just posting diff's here to this list and then wait for response?

Regards,
  Oliver