Justin C. Walker on Sun, 30 Oct 2005 22:29:34 +0100

Re: Configure bug when CPPFLAGS is set

On Oct 30, 2005, at 12:57 , Vincent Lefevre wrote:

On 2005-10-30 16:34:04 +0100, Karim Belabas wrote:

Contrary to autoconf-style AC_CHECK_HEADERS, Configure doesn't trust the host to have a decent configuration, and e.g. know where its headers and libraries are. So we actually look for files, instead of compiling small
programs (which gives more robust answers, but fails more often).

I've never had any problem with compiling small programs via autoconf
(each time it failed, this was really because something was missing).

As a special feature of Mac OS X, 10.4, you now have an odd-ball include file, /usr/include/readline.h, which is supposed (I think) to provide some of the GNU readline features, via the 'editline' library.

It interferes with anything that is used to using libreadline, and my solution was to remove (rename, move, ...) that header file. After that, things work fine (since the library in question doesn't conflict by name, there is no additional hassle).

I have not heard of any problems with this solution, but I suspect it might interfere with building something in the Darwin base.

Regards,

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-at-Large