Vincent Lefevre on Sun, 30 Oct 2005 22:12:09 +0100

Re: Configure bug when CPPFLAGS is set

On 2005-10-30 16:34:04 +0100, Karim Belabas wrote:
> Contrary to autoconf-style AC_CHECK_HEADERS, Configure doesn't trust the
> host to have a decent configuration, and e.g. know where its headers and
> libraries are. So we actually look for files, instead of compiling small
> programs (which gives more robust answers, but fails more often).

I've never had any problem with compiling small programs via autoconf
(each time it failed, this was really because something was missing).

> I don't want to complicate Configure logic and parse CPPFLAGS (or
> CFLAGS) to find a list of extra directories.

Alternatively, what about just running the preprocessor and check the
output?

> So, currently, the right way to tackle this is to
>
>   Configure --with-readline-include=/opt/local/include

This is not a solution for DarwinPorts since the user may have only
a readline not provided by DarwinPorts.