Phil Carmody on Sun, 21 Dec 2003 23:06:07 +0100

factorint variation?

In situations that I encounter every day (as I hunt for
factors and prime numbers every day) is that of finding
factors with special forms (of numbers with special forms).

In particular, working with cyclotomic numbers and Lucas
sequences, I encounter the situation where all factors
will be of the form 2kn+/-1 (+1 common, -1 very rare) for
some fixed (e.g. in factors of polcyclo(n)), and k variable.

Is there any way to either
- get factorint to accept a parameter representing n
(maybe Mod(1,n)?) in order to speed up any trial-division,
P-1, and possibly Rho?
- create a new function with the specific job of just
finding small factors with this modular rule.
?

The kinds of numbers I'm looking at are quite large, and
therefore the majority of the cracking will be done with
GMPECM, but it's nice to have at least p<10^10 all flushed
out before I crank out that sledgehammer. (Mainly as I
don't like the way GMPECM will stop as soon as it finds
the first factor.)

Phil

=====
When inserting a CD, hold down shift to stop the AutoRun feature
In the Device Manager, disable the SbcpHid device.
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~jhalderm/cd3/