Bill Allombert on Thu, 12 Dec 2002 20:02:31 +0100

Re: Preparing bugfix release 2.1.5

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 07:28:15PM +0100, Karim BELABAS wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Bill Allombert wrote:
> (18:40) vintsy-karim% diff -ru pari pari.stable | wc
>  142277  642902 4589839
>
> Given the differences between the two branches, I would stick to absolute
> minimal changes until we merge them, which should be done ASAP. The source

The fix are minimal. They backport of the same exact fix in the development tree.

> code is more or less stable now, but we have ideas/material for further
> massive changes. So I guess we should freeze it now and postpone:
>
> * Ilya's sizeof(long) and t_EXT patches
> * your description system + gmp kernel patches
> * install() support on MacOS X  [ too bad, it nearly works now... ]
>
> so that we can add and debug them at the _beginning_ of the next development
> cycle ?

> I can prepare a final 2.2.5 snapshot for later this evening [ had been
> meaning to do it anyway, only need to tune t_REAL Karatsuba multiplication,
> and include Ilya's final readline patches ].
>
> Assuming all is well, we can freeze to 2.2.6-beta just before Christmas
> holidays, say.
>
> Opinions ?

I believe we can release with the GMP kernel. It has been quite a while
before we found a bug in it, and I have yet to see a bug of the gmp-kernel
branch compiled without --kernel=gmp that is not in the standard version.

If you are to make a snapshot this evening, please do a second snapshot
for the GMP kernel branch as it is now, thanks!

There are several problesm to be addressed in the development release:

--- Fix the problem with functions returning int on 64bit architecture.

--- The polrootspadic(x^2+8*x+4, 2, 2) bug is still not fixed.

--- Fix problems with C++ compilers. (almost done).

--- Fix the ABI/API: define public functions in paridecl.h, not just those
we need to build PARI.

--- GP2C support: ship the func.desc GP2C file with PARI so that gp2c
can be compiled without access to PARI source.

--- add provision to add MacOS X support in a minor revision.

--- a lot more I cannot remember now :)