I have a list of commands that I can evaluate one at a time in the GP calculator, but I cannot get them to work in a script. In the following I have pointed out exactly what fails, but provided some more code that I am unsure will work once this problem is fixed. The script that doesn't function is given below...
* Example of what doesn't work (not important exactly what it does, but if interested...)
* computes Norm(1-x^q) from the cyclotomic field Q(x), (x^p=1)
* to the field fixed by the Sylow-q subgroup of the Galois group
q=3; /* p, q primes */
/* note T=polcyclo(p) works just fine, T is now a polynomial in x */
f(x) = (1-x^q) % T;
/* this is the line that screws up in a script,
* but works when input to the gp calculator
Norman = Mod(1,q^2);
for(i=1,q^n,Norman*=Mod(f(x^( lift(h^i) )),T) );
/* Once the above error is fixed will the above line work like I expect?
* i.e. will this think of Norman being in Z[x]/(q^2,T)
/* lift(lift(Norman)) will now print the norm of (1-x^q)
* where x is a primitive p-th root of unity
Graduate Student in Number Theory @ UCLA
p.s. This script is in regards to the proof of Catalan's conjecture put forward by Mihailescu.