John Kerl on Sun, 28 Nov 2004 23:03:53 +0100

Re: on generation of primitive polynomials

Not so.  The code snippet I sent *does* factor a cyclotomic polynomial over
GF(2^k).  The inner part (in y) is GF(2^k), not GF(2).  The outer part (in x)
is polynomials in GF(2^k).  In your notation you used something like "(01) +
(10) x + (11) x^2".  The y's below represent your tuples (11), e.g. (11)
represents y+1.

Re randomized or determistic algorithms, you can select polys at random, or in
lexical order, and test them for irreducibility, then test the irreducibles for
primitivity.  Your chances of hitting irreducibles and/or primitives at random,
or sequentially, are good.