Justin Walker on Sat, 09 Oct 2004 19:37:02 +0200

Re: machine freezes

On Oct 9, 2004, at 2:41, Dieter Hink wrote:

Hello,

I am using

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+
Linux SuSE 9.1 32-Bitmodus
gp 2.2.7 32 Bit-Version compiled with gcc-3.3.3 (SuSE Linux)

This little script (also in attachment) looks for social numbers, beginning with 276, here starting after iteration 823. After a short while, gp says "MPQS will take several hours", then the system freezes. Same effect with
SuSE 9.1 64 Bitmodus and gp 2.2.7 64-Bit-Version.

I do extended Hardware-Test with memtest for 24 hours or like repeated
Kernel-Makes like in www.bitwizard.nl/sig11 for 30 hours. After test
anything looks good.

This is not a 'pari' problem. There should be nothing that a user-mode program can (i.e., 'should be able to') do to cause the machine to freeze.

Are you sure that the machine is 'dead'? Have you tried pinging it, or logging in remotely, from another system on the network? It's possible that the computation is such that the GUI (I assume you are using X) is not getting enough time to do its job.

If your system is actually wedged, you need to take it up with the Linux/SuSe crews. It's their bug.

Regards,

Justin

--
/~\ The ASCII           Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-at-Large
\ / Ribbon Campaign