Bill Allombert on Sat, 09 Oct 2004 19:36:42 +0200

Re: machine freezes

On Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 11:41:48AM +0200, Dieter Hink wrote:
> Hello,
> I am using
> AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+
> Linux SuSE 9.1 32-Bitmodus
> gp 2.2.7 32 Bit-Version compiled with gcc-3.3.3 (SuSE Linux)
> This little script (also in attachment) looks for social numbers, beginning
> with 276, here starting after iteration 823. After a short while, gp says
> "MPQS will take several hours", then the system freezes. Same effect with
> SuSE 9.1 64 Bitmodus and gp 2.2.7 64-Bit-Version.
> I do extended Hardware-Test with memtest for 24 hours or like repeated
> Kernel-Makes like in for 30 hours. After test
> anything looks good.

I cannot reproduce (on my very old testbox).

What happen is that MPQS try to factor

which will take some time with PARI implementation.

If you are adventurous, try to do

you can try to save the output by issuing
before factorint,
but be sure /path/some/file resides on a device with no important data.
A very fast device would be best like a flash memory device.

As for the freeze cause: this code do basically 2 things: (unsigned)
multiplication/division and heavy I.O. Given that I would blame
the kernel, as a random guess.