Charles Greathouse on Thu, 08 Aug 2013 21:04:04 +0200

Re: 4th "Atelier PARI/GP" (january 2014)

My number one request is a forfactored() function which uses a sieve to produce factored values efficiently. I plan to write code for this, actually -- even poorly-optimized code will beat 'factoring each individual integer' by miles.

Along those lines, support for arithmetic functions on factored numbers would be nice. One can always do
prod(i=1, #f~, (f[i,1]-1)*f[i,1]^(f[i,2]-1))
but it would be much nicer to write eulerphi(f).

Another improvement that would be nice: a combinatorial algorithm for primepi() so that for large inputs the code wouldn't need to count the primes individually. (The analytic methods are too slow to be practical at this point...)

It seems that the GP syntax would allow ^^ to be added for tetration (repeated exponentiation); if this is interesting I'd be happy to code the implementation for t_INTMODs (the only interesting case).

From the TODO, I vote for "implement Jebelean-Krandick diviiexact".

Charles Greathouse
Analyst/Programmer
Case Western Reserve University