Karim Belabas on Tue, 12 Mar 2013 16:42:08 +0100

Re: OS X dmg image

* Pascal Molin [2013-03-11 23:30]:
> Last try for today :
> http://pari.math.u-bordeaux1.fr/~pascal/PariGP-2.5.3.dmg
>
> I did not know what to do with some links from libreadline to libgcc and
> libncurses, I hope this will do.

Hi Pascal,

  I had started working on exactly the same project last week and was
about to release it ! :-) I had proceeded as follows to build gp :

  #!/bin/sh

  # from MacPorts, to avoid the broken Xcode compiler
  export CC=gcc-mp-4.7

  # to avoid linking with libgcc_s.dylib
  export LDFLAGS=-static-libgcc

  # 1) --graphic=none: disable fltk, brings in too many dylib & frameworks
  # 2) use MacPorts'readline, avoid broken editline
  ./Configure --graphic=none --with-readline=/opt/local

  # override GMPLIBS/RLLIBS values to make sure we link with .a, not
  # dylibs. -static doesn't work
  cd Odarwin-i386 && make\
    GMPLIBS=/opt/local/lib/libgmp.a\
    RLLIBS="/opt/local/lib/libreadline.a /opt/local/lib/libcurses.a"\
    gp-sta

N.B. I disable fltk & hi-res graphics ( which *sort of* works on my
system but would drag in further dylibs and frameworks, and requires
extra patches to fix pari-daemon(), given CoreFoundation's broken fork()
concept, see bug #1354. )

This produces a stand-alone gp-sta, depending only on libSystem and
incorporating both readline and gmp:

(16:10) kb% otool -L gp-sta
gp-sta:
  /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
  version 169.3.0)
(16:10) kb%

About your second problem, building a relocatable application able to
use paths relative to the installation directory, we have no real
support for this. We have fledgling ad hoc constructions for the Windows
binary, but it's not suitable for generalizaion yet. Also, on OS/X, we
have the standard /usr/local hierarchy.

So my gp-sta is meant to be installed in /usr/local/bin. In order to interact
smoothly with gphelp and optional packages, it expects the latter to
be installed in the standard places under /usr/local/.

Those can be overriden using defaults 'datadir', 'help', 'prettyprinter'
and environment variable 'GPDOCDIR', if the user knows what she's doing
(and we can build a startup script for all that once we know the name of
the installation directory) but it's much simpler to use the standard
locations.

I had started to play with dmg's as well but had decided against it in the
end in particular for this reason; the other being that I didn't want to
distribute a full-fledged 330MB distribution and didn't see a way to
distribute "incremental" dmg's in more than one monolithic step. In the
end, I found it simpler to distribute a standalone gp-sta + all basic
files (gphelp, doc/translations, doc/usersch*.tex) + a trivial
install.sh that just copies all those files to the default /usr/local/
places. From a user's point of view, this requires:

  1) extracting a .tar.gz (or zip ?) archive
  2) opening a Terminal there and typing 'sudo install.sh'

Users can also copy (once!) all extra optional packages they require to
/usr/local/share/pari

This might feel a little awkward to Mac users since it requires to use
the Terminal rather than dragging some icon to an Application folder.
But it should "just work" with minimal effort.

Maybe you can find a solution to accomodate both ways ?

Cheers,

    K.B.

P.S: I'm on holiday right now, I was planning to release the above by
the end of the week.
--
Karim Belabas, IMB (UMR 5251)  Tel: (+33) (0)5 40 00 26 17
Universite Bordeaux 1          Fax: (+33) (0)5 40 00 69 50