Bill Allombert on Fri, 15 Dec 2006 23:03:00 +0100

Re: Lowering compiler optimisation with Apple gcc

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 01:09:00PM -0800, William Stein wrote:
> > One subtle point of building for Core 2 Macs is that current versions
> > of the autoconf tools do not correctly detect the CPU type.  This is
> > because the "uname -m" command returns the rather unhelpful "i386"
> > rather than the "x86_64" that one might expect.  So, you have to
> > manually detect the CPU (Agner Fog has some nice routines for this).
> >
> > I have not tried building on the 32bit or PowerPC Macs because I don't
> > have access to any.
>
> Speaking of this, I'm going to use my NSF grant to build a network of
> machines for SAGE development, and give all SAGE developers accounts on
> them for teasting build issues, optimizing code, etc.   Since PARI is
> a huge part of SAGE, this extends to interested PARI developers.  Please
> modify this wiki page (see below) or email me if you have any suggestions
> as to what hardware would be very useful for PARI developers to have
> access to:
>             http://sage.math.washington.edu:9001/hardware

I think at this point what we really lack is ppc64 hardware, e.g. a G5
running in 64bit mode. Having buildlog for ppc64 would be nice, see
<http://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/buildlog.html> for what we currently
have.

Having access to a Core 2 Mac could be also useful.

I also have so plan to add level0 assembly kernel for ARM processors
(at least for those which support 32x32->64bit multiply). I don't
know if people are actually running PARI/GP on their PDA.