Bill Allombert on Tue, 15 Nov 2005 15:22:43 +0100

Re: Not shipping pari.desc in the tarball and other wishlist

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 01:57:33PM +0100, Karim Belabas wrote:
> * Bill Allombert [2005-11-15 12:07]:
> I don't think you need perl. This part is only included in the $objdir Makefile
> if $add_funclist is non-empty. It is empty when perl doesn't work.
>
> I just tried
>
>   rm src/desc/pari.desc
>   make clean
>   Configure -l  \\ after editing pari.cfg to pretend I don't have perl
>   make
>
> It does work ( and doesn't regenerate any of the header files from the
> description system, of course ).

You are abslutely correct, my check was wrong. Sorry for the noise.

> Ah, you meant a target that the user would invoke before launching any
> parallel make. That would work. But a single 'make' (or make -j4, etc) has
> the same effect right now, doesn't it ?
>
> The point is not to launch any make for a different architecture before the
> first one has generated those header files. Do we really need a separate
> target in the top-level Makefile for that ?

We don't need it in the top-level Makefile, but we need a target a script
can run before starting the parallel build. I think Igor needs it to
build on several computers at once that share the source through NFS.
Is it correct Igor ?

We probably could use this option to ensure 'make distrib' has the
correct files.