Justin C. Walker on Thu, 06 Nov 2003 17:49:38 +0100

Re: Description system TODO list

On Thursday, November 6, 2003, at 04:49 AM, Bill Allombert wrote:

Hello PARI developers,
I plan to fix the outstanding problems preventing release of
PARI 2.2.7 and to allow gp2c to be compatible with PARI 2.2.7.
3) 'make install' should install sufficient data to build GP2C
in a fixed location:
dft.Config.in,src/desc/Def and probably src/desc/PARI/822.pm.

That needs to happen. We have essentially to decide where we put the data.

dft.Config.in belong to /usr/lib/pari. Maybe

You may intend this, but just to be sure: shouldn't this be relative to ${prefix}? In many cases, using "/usr/bin" and similar paths gets you to directories that are the province of the vendor (and are thus susceptible to overwriting/replacement at the whim of installers).

There's a chicken/egg problem, of course (the value of 'prefix' is defined in a config file that goes ... where?).

Maybe default to "/usr/local/"?

Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large  *
Institute for General Semantics        |   If you're not confused,