Ilya Zakharevich on Wed, 27 Nov 2002 12:45:07 -0800

Re: Patch for install: allow to change prototype

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 10:58:48AM +0100, Karim BELABAS wrote:
> > Thus it should be safe to do dlclose() at the appropriate time.
>
> The "appropriate time" never occurs unless we explicitly kill everything from
> that particular DLL first.

Replace "never occurs unless" by "requires".  ;-)

> I don't see a sane way of having install() cleanly
> overwrite a single definition [ from the same DLL ].

I did not suggest this.  What I meant was explicit-kill() + install().
There should be a way to inform GP that a reload is required; as the
0th approximation, explicit kill() is as good as any.

> The following is doable but very awkward.
>   install(f) + kill(f) [ + kill(f2) + ... + kill(fn) ] + install(f)

Given enough install-history stored, kill("this.dll") may do all the
kill(fk) itself.  But why you think this is awkward?  Supposedly, you
already have the code to install() all fk anyway; so global-changing
all install to kill should not be a big problem?

Ilya