Igor Schein on Mon, 26 Aug 2002 20:02:37 -0400

Re: gp + readline + script = mess

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 07:45:17PM -0400, Michael Somos wrote:
> pari-dev,
>
> Igor Schein asked :
>
> > I don't see why one would prefer unix script(1) over gp's native \l
> > logging capability.  Alternatively, you can 'gp |& tee <filename>'.
>
> and he has two good alternatives that do almost what I want and have
> come to expect from my use of 'script'. I am happy that he finds them
> to his liking, however, I think I have good reasons to expect that
> readline should behave reasonably like it used to. If this is regarded
> as a personal matter, then so be it. For testing purposes, at least, I
> am going to have to disable readline if it can't behave. Shalom, Michael

A couple followup remarks.

1) I can confirm this problem. It appears to be Mandrake bug, RedHat
behaves properly.  I've found one more Mandrake-specific readline
problem in the past, namely that if you paste a long line into gp
session, it takes very long time, as opposed to instantaneously on
RedHat.  I didn't post it to the list because it's not a pari/gp
bug.

2) I believe there's no way to disable readline on the fly, no do I
believe there should be one.  If I were choosing readline-less
binary+script versus readline+\l, I don't think it's a close call. I
doubt I'd be the only one to choose the latter alternative either.

Just my thoughts.

Igor