Karim BELABAS on Tue, 6 Nov 2001 12:13:05 +0100 (MET)

Re: library installation/Mac OS X

On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Nathaniel Irons wrote:
> I tried signing up for the dev list, but I never saw a
> confirmation, so I'm just monitoring the list archives at the
> moment.
>
> I'm trying to install the Crypt::OpenPGP perl module, which
> requires Math::Pari.  pari-2.1.2 seems to be compiling cleanly
> with Mac OS X 10.1, but the benchmark suite is complaining (at
> "Program"), and I'd like to know if it's significant.  Here's the
> output of program-sta.dif, followed by output from Configure,
> make bench.

Hi,

  as Gerhard already replied, there's nothing to be worried about: the
'install' routine is apparently not supported, but Math::Pari does not
require it.

OTOH, I would have expected it to work; doesn't Darwin support dlopen ? Does
'man dlopen' mention anything exotic that would prevent both

  /usr/bin/gcc  -O3 config/has_dlopen.c

  /usr/bin/gcc  -O3 config/has_dlopen.c -ldl

from compiling ? (that's $CC $CFLAGS ..., expanded from your log) What is the
output from these two commands ?

BTW, could you send me your processor and clock speed so that I can update
the MACHINES file ? (no entry for Darwin yet)

Thanks,

    Karim.

P.S:
> ./Configure: parse error [1116]
> What is the internal byte representation of a double ? [4321]
> ./Configure: parse error near `fi' [1119]

This is a stupid mistake on my part: I left a pari.tgz archive with this typo
on the megrez server for a few hours [need to change `double' to 'double' in
Configure] before making the official announcement. It was corrected in the
"official" release (CVS tag release-2-1-2) a few hours later. You must have
grabbed it in the meantime...

Anyway, it didn't affect the Configure process, it's just aesthetically
unpleasant.

--
Karim Belabas                    email: Karim.Belabas@math.u-psud.fr
Dep. de Mathematiques, Bat. 425