Karim.Belabas on Fri, 25 May 2001 14:45:45 +0200 (MET DST)

Re: /var/tmp vs. /tmp

On Fri, 25 May 2001, Gerhard Niklasch wrote:
> > I am wondering why /var/tmp is preferred to /tmp
>
> Dark history... the default goes back to the days when I had /tmp
> on my Linux 1.2.8 box in the tiny root filesystem, and oodles of
> space in /var where /var/tmp was living, and both were equally
> performant.
>
> > Usually, /tmp is better for such temporary files.
> > /var/tmp is needed for files to be preserved after
> > reboots, and that constraint is useless for MPQS.
>
> At present (until one day we have a way of recovering from a
> checkpoint state)...
>
> > On some OS (Solaris) /tmp is much faster than /var/tmp,
> > even when written to disk.
>
> Absolutely.  By all means, if you have a large and fast /tmp,
> override the default.  Perhaps the default should be changed
> nowadays.  (but certainly not in 2.1.x!  changing user interface
> behaviour is usually a Bad Idea(tm)...).

I have changed it in development series 2.2.x. No noticeable difference so
far, but from Louis and Gerhard's arguments it looks like the thing to do
anyway.

  Karim.

--
Karim Belabas                    email: Karim.Belabas@math.u-psud.fr