Gilliss Dyer on Sun, 4 Jul 1999 18:57:17 -0400 (EDT)

Problems with big number fields..

Here is the line that is causing me trouble:

?bnfclassunit(f1,0,[12,1,5,1,4,2])
   ***   bus error: bug in GP (please report).

Where f1 is a 12th order polynomial with rather large coefficients.
I'm using gp 2.09a, which doubled the stack size several times (up
to 16000000) before giving this error.

Does anyone know a way around this?  What did I do wrong?  I've been able
to work with this number field some in Kant, but I haven't been able to
initialize it in Pari.  I am interested in the ideal class group, the
fundamental units, the regulator, and the splitting field (if possible).

-Gilliss Dyer