John Cremona on Thu, 03 Nov 2022 15:34:02 +0100

timer output

When I turn on the timer in gp with # or default(), before each output
I see something like

cpu time = 2,013 ms, real time = 421 ms.

but the documentation at http://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/dochtml/html/
suggests that the output will only show one time, and says "The time
measured is the user CPU time, not including the time for printing the
results."

In my example, was the cpu time actually 2.013 seconds? But then what
is the "real time" measuring?  Or is it that the internal cpu time was
only 421ms and the onger time includes some overheads?  (The output
was just 1 in that example, so the output time is negligible.)

Thanks

John