Max Alekseyev on Sat, 29 Oct 2022 13:41:27 +0200
[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
Re: arithmetic operations with t_INFINITY
- To: Bill Allombert <Bill.Allombert@math.u-bordeaux.fr>
- Subject: Re: arithmetic operations with t_INFINITY
- From: Max Alekseyev <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 07:40:11 -0400
- Cc: email@example.com
- Delivery-date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 13:41:27 +0200
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20210112; h=cc:to:subject:message-id:date:from:in-reply-to:references :mime-version:from:to:cc:subject:date:message-id:reply-to; bh=b8psXGAt/fKNyiYCFXULQbCoxMWqT/P8DfLhDnGhJkA=; b=mrqJ1QmIuWxqaQ528TVBbJtvFk3Ej+aP87beqNam2pBfZOmmyEJcXKmeC/j05EB1K1 0qa+k9/NxNWzGs/KuJIIOccz1hpVJiS2w5SIaCN8rbOqJUNWjxXq4t4gFfGb2DHg2m5L n184HU09gEkQMutzD3zCT/fow/xwsW3pQQl1MYWFi7kIx/6Y6HYy8EMbmTlT2ZkO6zq5 kBJJ5UjK4e5+2afBuoIu42ljffn1L1vcxLdZ6uD2ZhOnQe/boiG8hPc4qYRZj5gW6+rE hu0ZeZK/nq4/ItpbYUKKhcQ37v6W7zD4lsiioWf6GGF8M3Z+KjcgHOBPDblajwo8IKv/ SaGg==
- In-reply-to: <Y1zuoVTtwAc7mdWQ@pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr>
- References: <CAJkPp5NV5A_aTr6cqSg4gJb=YF_GT9FTchh1eATKm-qFv1dR8Q@mail.gmail.com> <Y1zuoVTtwAc7mdWQ@pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr>
Bill, I do not quite follow. The issue you describe will not appear if comparison of oo with oo is forbidden (which should be the case).
Le Fri, Oct 28, 2022 at 04:13:49PM -0400, Max Alekseyev a écrit :
> It seems reasonable to expect that "123 + oo" or "-567 * oo" should
> evaluate in "+oo" and "-oo", respectively, but at the moment they both
> result in the "forbidden" error.
> Can support of basic arithmetic operations for t_INFINITY be added?
> Of course, undefined operations such as "oo - oo" should still produce an
When we added oo, we decided that we would not allow arithmetic operations with
infinity because they are not well defined and and not obey the usual equations:
a+x == b+x => a==b
so this can only lead to strange bugs.