John Cremona on Thu, 10 Sep 2020 15:06:23 +0200

gp2c question

I have a gp function which I am running using gp2c.  In the function I
have the lines

p = 20.0;
a = random(p)*2 -1;

since I want a to be a random real in the balanced unit internal
[-1,1].  (I hope that is correct gp:  ?random does not mention the
possibility of an argument of type t_REAL, but ??random does.)

Both p and are declared in a my() statement as type real with
my(p:real, a:real, ...). The second line above causes a warning from
gp2c

Warning:MCq.gp:9: Assignement to a less precise type: real<-gen
a=(random(p)*2)-1

Should I worry about that?    And surely the right and left hand sides
have the same type anyway?

John