Bill Allombert on Tue, 05 Feb 2019 20:50:00 +0100

Re: OSX binaries -- bug

On Tue, Feb 05, 2019 at 11:57:13AM -0600, Steven Norton wrote:
> I was very pleased to see that OSX binaries were available, since I don't
> have much knowledge or experience with compiling from source.
> Unfortunately, running PARI on my MacPro2,1 with OSX 10.9.5 resulted in the
> program quickly encountering an error, and logging out:
>
> Likewise, an attempt to run gphelp was unsuccessful:
>
> > MacPro:~ shn$ /Applications/PariGP.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gphelp ;
> > exit;
> > Could not find translation file,
> > docdir='/Applications/PariGP.app/Contents/Resources/bin' at
> > /Applications/PariGP.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gphelp line 153.
> > logout
> >

> The one thing that works is "./gp-2.11 --test" but I am limited to what I
> can do in test mode. Please, is this a known bug or not ?
> Does this version of gp work with later versions of OSX?

Yes this is a known problem on some machines, but is not OS X version-specific.

A poor work-around is to disable readline at start-up
 ./gp-2.11 --default readline=0

I do not know what cause this problem.

We test the binaries regularly on all OS X version >= 10.9 without seeing
any problem. However we have seen it occuring on 2 systems running 10.12
recently, but we cannot easily reproduce it.

I could try to use a different build of readline.

Cheers,
Bill