J E Cremona on Fri, 05 Oct 2018 18:22:03 +0200

Re: mfatkineigenvalues

On Fri, 5 Oct 2018 at 12:44, Karim Belabas <Karim.Belabas@math.u-bordeaux.fr> wrote:
* J E Cremona [2018-10-05 13:41]:
> If I call mfatkineigenvalues(mf,Q)   where mf is a newspace output by
> mfinit(NK,0) for some NK with trivial character,  then -- as far as I can
> tell from the documentation -- mfatkineigenvalues  must compute the
> splitting of mf into Galois orbits.  But if I have already computed that
> splitting (e.g. using mffields, or mfsplit)  then that seems very wasteful.
>
> Would it be possible to design mfatkineigenvalues() so that (optionally)
> one could give the splitting information to it?

Already done: when the splitting is done it is automagically added to
the mf struct (same mechanism as for elliptic curves).

Ah, I was wondering if calling functions with mf as a parameter had some side-effect like that.

> Secondly (different but related):   again in trivial character, it would be
> useful to have a function mfatkinmat() like mfheckemat().

mfatkininit provides it (in a slightly awkward way, but it handles
arbitrary characters...)

I'll check that out.  Thanks a lot,

John

Cheers,

    K.B.
--
Karim Belabas, IMB (UMR 5251)  Tel: (+33) (0)5 40 00 26 17
Universite de Bordeaux         Fax: (+33) (0)5 40 00 21 23

--
Prof J E Cremona
Warwick Mathematics Institute