Melanie Matchett Wood on Tue, 06 Mar 2018 17:22:16 +0100

bnrgaloismatrix: precision too low in makematal

I am trying to use bnrgaloismatrix to compute the action of the Galois group on the class group of a (Galois) sextic field.

I get an error:
*** bnrgaloismatrix: precision too low in makematal.

Here is an example that gives this:

f= x^6 + 2854*x^4 + 2036329*x^2 + 513996528;
K=bnrinit(bnfinit(f,1),1,1);
G=galoisinit(K);
M=bnrgaloismatrix(K,G);

I cannot find any documentation on "makematal."

Can someone explain what this error means, and in particular, am I just running up against the limits of computing power (or built in pari limits) or I can do something like increase a precision level or stacksize to try to complete this computation?

Thank you,
Melanie

Melanie Matchett Wood
Professor, Mathematics Department