Jeroen Demeyer on Thu, 14 Nov 2013 13:30:20 +0100

factorpadic() for non-squarefree polynomials

Hello pari-users,

The documentation for ??factorpadic states that the discriminant of the polynomial much have p-adic valuation less than r. While I understand where the condition comes from, does that mean that the following is undefined behaviour:

gp> factorpadic(t^2, 3, 5)
%13 =
[(1 + O(3^5))*t + O(3^5) 2]

Indeed, the following example should be equivalent but it's not:

gp> factorpadic(t^2 + 3^5, 3, 5)
%14 =
[(1 + O(3^5))*t^2 + O(3^5)*t + O(3^0) 1]

In any case, I think this important condition should be added to the short help ?factorpadic.

Cheers,
Jeroen.