Daniel Allcock on Mon, 14 Mar 2011 05:40:01 +0100

debugging a program that uses libpari

Hi all,

I am debugging a program that uses lipari, and am having trouble debugging because pari seems to hide or demolish the stack trace.  I set a breakpoint in gdb on pari_err, and it does break there when an error arises.  But there is no useful stack information, so I can't figure out which part of my code is causing the problem.

Below is an example of what I have run into.

I compiled my own code using gcc -O0 to disable things like omitting the stack pointer.

I built the debug version of pari.  (I just redid the install to make sure; I used /Configure -a and chose debugging when offered it.)

I'd appreciate any help about what I am doing wrong.  Am not sure what info might be useful so have just given the overview.  If it matters, I am using the gmp kernel and am programming in C++, using g++.  (Though the library was compiled with gcc.)

thanks,
Daniel

~/research/rk3/branch/12/build$ gdb ./classify
GNU gdb 6.3.50-20050815 (Apple version gdb-1510) (Wed Sep 22 02:45:02 UTC 2010)
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-apple-darwin"...Reading symbols for shared libraries ...... done

(gdb) break pari_err
Breakpoint 1 at 0x4189374bb22421
(gdb) run
Starting program: /Users/allcock/research/rk3/branch/12/build/classify
Reading symbols for shared libraries +++++. done
could not read candidates from phase1.dat
computing them and saving them there.

Breakpoint 1, 0x00000001003f8421 in pari_err ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00000001003f8421 in pari_err ()
#1  0x00000001002d1814 in gtolong ()
(gdb)