John Cremona on Thu, 24 Jun 2010 23:45:54 +0200

Fwd: bnf unit normalization A12-140

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Cremona <john.cremona@gmail.com>
Date: 24 June 2010 14:40
Subject: bnf unit normalization
To: pari-users <pari-users@list.cr.yp.to>

I was wondering what normalization, if any, is done to the system of
fundamental units as computed by bnfinit?

I think it makes sense to talk of a unit basis being LLL-reduced, in
the sense that the lattice which is the image of the units under the
logarithmic embedding has many bases and these may (or may not) be
LLL-reduced.

So the question is:  is the unit basis LLL-reduced in this sense?  If
not, could it be?

John Cremona