Justin C. Walker on Tue, 05 Feb 2008 01:16:49 +0100

Re: Question on input from a file...

On Feb 4, 2008, at 05:49 , David Cleaver wrote:

Justin C. Walker wrote:
One thing to keep in mind when tracking down these syntax errors is that 'gp' likes to have its "instructions" separated by ";". What these errors tell you is that you need a few of these :-} In particular, look at the last 'write', and the 'str_line' before the last 'for' statement.

Aha! This helped tremendously. It actually turns out that gp was looking for me to put ';' after each of the 'for' statements as well. It now works perfectly. Thanks for the help.

Rats.  I neglected to mention them all.  Sorry about that.

And a final note to ease typing burdens :-} you can use "\r /path/ to/file" (no quotes) in place of read("/path/to/file"). If the file is in the directory you were in when you ran 'gp', you can drop the "/path/to/".

Its strange. I have a variable defined that contains a string pointing to the file in question, lets call it str_file. When I type '\r str_file', its acting like str_file "is" the file I want to open and says "error opening input file: str_file" with a little arrow pointing to the 's' in str_file. However, when I call read (str_file) it works just fine. Am I calling '\r' incorrectly?

The "\r" command takes a literal, unquoted, sequence of characters as it's argument. That's why you get that behavior. If you want to do that, use "read()", because it expects a string, and your variable will evaluate to a string before the call is made.

Hope that clears it up.

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large
Institute for the Enhancement of the Director's Income