Jack Fearnley on Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:06:14 -0400

Kronecker symbol

I have been having some trouble with kronecker(x,y) which is described in the
documentation as a generalization of the Legendre symbol (x|y).  I was
expecting kronecker to behave like a Dirichlet character.  In particular, I
expected kronecker(3,4) to equal -1 whereas it computes as 1.

I have two questions:

1) What is the precise definition of kronecker in Pari?

2) Is there a quick and easy way to generate quadratic Dirichlet characters in
Pari?

2a) What about higher order Dirichlet characters?

Best Regards,
		Jack Fearnley