Igor Schein on Wed, 17 Nov 1999 17:47:02 -0500

Re: inlinling for Alpha

On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 10:20:31PM +0100, Jean-Marc Sac-Epée wrote:
> Igor Schein wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just wanted to find out if there're enough Dec Alpha users on the
> > list to generate interest in inlining for gcc on Alpha, like it has
> > done for Intel.  Right now, gp runs slightly slower on my 600MHz
> > Alpha machine than on 450MHz Pentium, even though SPECbenches for
> > Alpha are way better.  I am willing to provide my own time and effort
> > for that, but I need some directions.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Igor
>
> Is your OS  a Dec unix or Linux for Dec?
> With Linux, my 500MHz Alpha machine becomes wheezy, and I finally
> abandonned my beloved Linux (with heavy heart...) on this machine.
>
> Jean-Marc

I'm running RedHat 6.0 on my Alpha, and it's very stable, both OS-wise
and Pari-wise.  I've encountered several 64bit issues in the past, but
they're fixed now.  I'm aware of 2 current 64bit precision bugs, one
of them is listed in TODO file.  They're pretty obscure though.

So to summarize, looks like there're several people interested in this
project, but no1 really to take charge.  So unless Karim is willing to
provide a jumpstart, I might have to spend considerable amount of time
looking into it myself, which I'm not looking forward to :)

Igor