Karim BELABAS on Mon, 1 Feb 1999 11:19:34 +0100 (MET)

Re: Primelimit

[Ilya]
> Currently the same number primelimit is used for two unrelated things:
> now many primes to keep in the gaps table, and how many primes to use
> in calculations related to euler products etc.
>
> How hard would it be to split these limit(s) into two: primelimit and
> primecache, with primecache >= primelimit?

primelimit is only used to supply consecutive prime gaps to functions that
need them. How many of them are used is completely up to the caller and under
GP, this is either given explicitly (e.g direuler, forprime, prodeuler,
factor with explicit trial division bound), or hidden in the algorithms (e.g
modular gcd, general factoring engine). It never depends on the actual number
of primes available: an error is raised when the limit is reached, that's all.

I don't understand what you want to achieve by artificially lowering the
number of primes available to some functions. Could you give more details ?

   Karim.
--
Karim Belabas                    email: Karim.Belabas@math.u-psud.fr
Dep. de Mathematiques, Bat. 425