Igor Schein on Tue, 19 Jan 1999 11:40:48 -0500

Re: fix for the bug under CygWin 20.1

On Thu, Jan 07, 1999 at 09:24:48PM -0500, Igor Schein wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in order to have factorization work properly under CygWin,
> you need to replace "r" with "rb" ( in 5 places ) and "w" with "wb"
> ( in 12 places ) in src/modules/mpqs.c for all pari_fopen() calls.
> It probably should be #ifdef'ed in the next PARI release.
>
> It has to do with the difference between UNIX and DOS text format,
> which effect fseek() to the point where it goes berserk.
>
> Igor

Hi again.

After hanging around a bit on a CygWin mailing list, I found out
that there's an easier fix to this problem which doesn't involve
changing the code.  It turns to be that CygWin uses default mount
option 'text!=binary'.  If you remount C:\ with 'text=binary', the
out-of-box PARI distribution works.  The easiest way to change the
default is to go to Registry Editor, seatch for value 'fbinary' and
change it from 0 to 1.

So maybe Configure could do a check on a mount option before
proceeding?

Igor