John Cremona on Mon, 01 Nov 2021 17:09:09 +0100

Re: Transforming general cubic to standard form

Well, there is no known algorithm to determine whether or not a genus
1 curve over Q has any rational points, so you cannot expect miracles!
You can expect some help, perhaps: for binary quartics, the easy case
is when the quartic has a rational root x0 since then you can use
(x0,0) as the base point; these represent the trivial element of the
2-Selmer group.  Similarly, for plane cubics if there is a rational
flex (and again, these represent the trivial element of 3-Selmer), as
in that case you can just make a linear change of variables taking
that flex to [0:1:0] and the tangent there to Z=0, which gives you a
Weierstrass equation (perhaps after scaling the variables).  I have
forgotten what the trivial case is for quadric intersections.

John