Aurel Page on Fri, 30 Apr 2021 11:33:47 +0200

Re: Artin's method for class field computation

Hi Lucas,

There would be no problem implementing the method you suggest to deal with prime power degree extensions, but we chose to implement bnrclassfield by relying on the historical function rnfkummer, and at the moment we don't have plans to implement the other method although it could be useful in some cases.
Algorithmically, the best method depends on the ramification of the intermediate extensions involved. What is costly in explicit class field theory using kummer theory is that to construct a cyclic extension of degree n of K, you have to compute the class group and units of K(zeta_n).
- If you directly do the extension of degree p^m, you have to do this computation for K(zeta_p^m).
- If you use a tower of degree p extensions K_m/K_{m-1}/.../K_1/K, then the most costly step is the last one where you have to do the computation for K_{m-1}(zeta_p).
So it depends on which field is harder between K(zeta_p^m) and K_{m-1}(zeta_p), and this depends on the situation.

In terms of references, I think what you call the Artin method is described in the paper of Claus Fieker "Computing class fields via the Artin map". In our implementation, we never use the complete Artin map, but we use the splitting type of primes, which contains less information than the full Artin map but enough to characterise the extension.

Aurel