William Stein on Sun, 31 Dec 2017 17:46:13 +0100

Re: Working on iOS port

On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 8:40 AM, Bill Allombert
<Bill.Allombert@math.u-bordeaux.fr> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 10:24:45AM -0800, William Stein wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 3:51 PM, Bill Allombert
>> <Bill.Allombert@math.u-bordeaux.fr> wrote:
>> >
>> > This is problematic because we do not have copyright assignment.
>>
>> I am not a lawyer, but there are a lot of GPL'd programs on Apple's
>> iOS App Store.  For example, this (excellent) iOS ssh/mosh client
>>
>> https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/blink-shell-mosh-ssh/id1156707581?mt=8
>>
>> is GPLv3
>>
>> https://github.com/blinksh/blink/blob/master/COPYING
>>
>> You can either buy it from the app store, or compile it from source
>> and install it yourself using XCode.
>
> Is it really possible to compile a package and install it on a iPhone
> without rooting it ?

Yes.  See any of the results when you google the above question.  The
thing that Apple tries to prevent is for you to compile an app, then
*distribute it yourself (cutting out Apple) to the world in binary
form*, without going through the Apple app store.  But you compile
anything you want yourself (on a mac with xcode), then you can install
it on your own devices.

> In any case, since you have experience with it, how hard it is to build
> PARI natively for running on iPhones ?

I wish I knew...

 -- William