Sam Steingold on Fri, 15 Dec 2017 15:37:34 +0100

Re: patch: Variable argument is always optional because it can be inferred.

> * Bill Allombert <Ovyy.Nyybzoreg@zngu.h-obeqrnhk.se> [2017-12-15 00:13:08 +0100]:
>
> On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 05:40:17PM -0500, Sam Steingold wrote:
>> > * Bill Allombert <Ovyy.Nyybzoreg@zngu.h-obeqrnhk.se> [2017-12-14 23:28:37 +0100]:

>> > But they are not optional in GP, so you cannot change the prototype
>> > code, this would change the GP language.
>>
>> Why not change it? ;-)
>
> Mandatory variables names are a feature not a bug. There is nothing to
> fix here.

I am confused.

Could you please elaborate?

I am saying that the "n" argument is _almost always_ optional, either
"de jure" (48/51 cases), or "de facto" (taylor and serprec).
The _only_ exception is subst where it is required.

I am suggesting making it optional de jure always.

What is wrong with my proposal?

Thanks!

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1504