Karim Belabas on Sat, 08 Oct 2016 18:38:54 +0200

Re: online HTML docs

* Bill Allombert [2016-08-06 15:14]:
> On Mon, Aug 01, 2016 at 10:30:51AM +0200, Karim Belabas wrote:
> > * Bill Allombert [2016-07-30 23:25]:

>>> What would be nice would be an single URL scheme that gives a link to the
>>> documentation of any GP function.
>>
>> 2) I kind of like the current grouping by "help section" and I'd prefer
>> to keep it way. Would something like
>>
>>     html/9.html#bnfinit
>>
>> be suitable ? You need to know the help section number for this
>> (9 for bnfinit) but inside gp it's not a problem ( ep->menu ). Of course
>>
>>   General_number_fields.html#bnfinit
>>
>> already works but you need to know the section name as normalized by gphtml,
>> which is less convenient; whereas gphtml can trivially soft link
>>
>>   General_number_fields.html -> 6.html
>>
>> while dumping the HTML pages since it knows the correspondance.
>
> Done, except that I added the symlinks by hand for testing:
> Try
> ??bnfinit
> in the online GP
>
> Probably we should add the chapter number:
> html/chapt3/6.html#bnfinit
> instead of
> html/6.html#bnfinit

This has now been replaced by the simpler interface

  http://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/dochtml/help/<function name>

as originally intended by Bill, e.g.

  http://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/dochtml/help/nfinit

(Currently works for every GP function.)

It is no longer needeed to indicate the proper chapter number, we
modified gphelp to produce the relevant rewriting rules for
the mod_rewrite Apache module.

Cheers,

    K.B.

P.S. This is now the default extended help in the online GP calculator at

  http://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/gp.html

via ??<some function name>

--
Karim Belabas, IMB (UMR 5251)  Tel: (+33) (0)5 40 00 26 17
Universite de Bordeaux         Fax: (+33) (0)5 40 00 21 23