Robert Harron on Tue, 16 Aug 2016 12:12:44 +0200

Re: Making idealmoddivisor_aux public

Thank you for your replies.

Indeed, the implementation I've written so far in Sage uses the discrete logs of the elements for computations, and it is true that in terms of working with Hecke characters this, together with bnrisprincipal suffices. But the implementation I've written mimics the current implementation for the class group which keeps track of not only the discrete logs, but also representative ideals. And like in the class group code, upon multiplication an equivalent 'small' ideal representative is found. So, while one can get away without reducing and still compute with Hecke characters, I still want to be able to provide the user with representatives of the ray classes.

We're you saying that idealmul and idealred themselves allow for finding small representatives of an ray class? I couldn't understand how to do that. Or wait, I see now that you mention a public function idealmoddivisor, but it looks like that function has disappeared from the documentation, maybe even from being publicly available. I found it in a google search in pari 2.5.

Thank you,

Rob