Bill Allombert on Tue, 25 Nov 2014 22:05:48 +0100

Re: New gp function fold()

On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 03:08:26PM -0500, Charles Greathouse wrote:
> We might consider a function (or flag) that folds by binary splitting. For
> example, this could be used to keep subproducts small:

Binary splitting is not necessarily useful for all associative operations.

This is mostly useful for multiplication, and factorback() and lcm() already
handles this case. Do you have other examples ?

But as you say, the issue is that it would be awkward to document for
non-associative operations.